For the perfect sweet treat, on-the-go snack or summer party favourite, I love these Plant-based vanilla cupcakes.
Ingredients for plant-based vanilla cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plant-based unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising spelt flour
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 100gms plant-based butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- A variety of toppings, sprinkles, dried fruit, choc buttons, to decorate
Model wears Sophia swimsuit in Sweet Peonies, $69.
How to make plant-based vanilla cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line the cupcake pans with liners.
- Beat the sugar and 1/2 cup of unsalted butter until creamy and pale. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar.
- Slowly add the flour to the sugar and butter mixture, while alternately adding the milk and vinegar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, you want each to be about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Note: These cupcakes will not brown on the top so make sure you check them after 18 minutes with a toothpick.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar and 100 grams of butter until creamy. Add some plant-based milk (1-2 tbsp) if you prefer the icing softer.
- Decorate with chosen toppings.
Here's a video of our little ones enjoying decorating (and eating) their cupcakes.
You might also like: Recipe love: Plant-based vanilla Ice-cream