If you’re looking for a nutritious plant-based meal that children and adults alike will love, you can’t go by these Plant-based chickpea bites. This is one of our favourite summer recipes.
Ingredients for plant-based chickpea Bites
- 3 Tbsps coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove finely diced
- ½ brown onion finely diced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsps almond meal, optional nut-free ingredient oat flour
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato
- ½ cup cooked pumpkin
- 2 Tbsps breadcrumbs
- Mixed vegetables to serve
How to make plant-based chickpea bites
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan, add diced garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, approximately four minutes. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Pour the chickpeas in a bowl along with the cooked sweet potato and pumpkin. Using the back of a fork to mash ingredients until combined.
- Add the cooled onion mixture, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, hemp seeds and almond meal to the chickpea mixture. Mix until combined.
- Roll into 3cm balls and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Add two tablespoons of oil in a pan and cook balls, on a low heat, until they are cooked through or slightly brown.
- Serve with chosen vegetables. We serve ours on skewers with fresh vegetables like tomatoes and cucumber.